- Indigenous media organization assignment: Due
next week Monday, February 8changed to Monday, February 22 – no extensions – failure to present = 0
- Exam on March 28 – covers all reading:
Today we are doing the final few Seeing Red chapter presentations, then talking about the survey results students found on their first assignment. Next, we will talk about strategies for completing your presentation about the Aboriginal media organization you selected. Laurissa is doing her presentation today because she is still away on Feb. 22…which is when everyone else will present.
- Seeing Red presentations – last time to present
- Discuss next assignment – presentation on Aboriginal media organization you selected – presentations on Feb. 22
- Laurissa’s presentation
- “Speaking and Hearing” and
- Discuss reading: Speaking and Hearing by Shannon Avison and Michael Meadows, 2000, CJC
- Public sphere in China – discussion and video
- Behind the Great Firewall of China, TEDGlobal 2012 – Michael Anti (aka Jing Zhao) has been blogging from China for 12 years. Despite the control the central government has over the Internet — “All the servers are in Beijing” — he says that hundreds of millions of microbloggers are in fact creating the first national public sphere in the country’s history, and shifting the balance of power in unexpected ways.